Today I went to the ’American Idiot’-themed yoga class at Pure Yoga on the Upper East Side (86th and 3rd). The class was $30 and all proceeds went to benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. All participants were given a copy of the OBCR as well. When I heard that there was going to be a union of two of my favorite things, and that I was actually available to go, I was ecstatic but confused. What songs by Green Day were appropriate as a soundtrack for practicing yoga?
I’ve done yoga 4-6 times per week using Yoga Journal podcasts since mid-January, but it’d been a while since I’d taken an actual class. I paid, put my things in a cubby near the main desk and walked into the room where the class would take place and heard a version of “When I Come Around” played by wind chimes over the sound system, and then a similar version of “Good Riddance.” I chatted up the instructor about where she found these versions and she said on iTunes, and then she said I could have the CD after. Sweet!
The class was a great work out and really perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon. The room was warmly lit and exuded a sense of relaxation. The music, surprisingly, fit right in. I fixed some of the problems that I’d apparently run into in my last year of practice, as well as some things that I didn’t know I was doing wrong. At times I found myself paying too much attention to the music though, running through the lyrics in my head and almost falling over in a three-legged down dog. The set list was as follows:
- When I Come Around (from Rockabilly Baby! Lullaby Versions of Green Day)
- Good Riddance (from Rockabilly Baby! Lullaby Versions of Green Day)
- When It’s Time (American Idiot OBCR)
- Basketcase (acoustic version covered by a woman, not sure who!)
- Before the Lobotomy (OBCR)
- Boulevard of Broken Dreams (OBCR)
- Last Night on Earth (OBCR)
- 21 Guns (OBCR)
- Give Me Novocaine (OBCR)
- Whatshername (OBCR)
- When I Come Around (original album version)
- Wake Me Up When September Ends (OBCR)
- When It’s Time (BJA’s album version)
- Good Riddance (original album version)
- When I Come Around (Rockabilly Baby!)
It turns out that there’s a lot of appropriate music by Green Day to practice yoga to. I told the studio directors that they should teach the class once a week, and hopefully someday they (or someone else) will. The work out, of course, was amazing too.