My chef aunt provided me with yet another fantastic recipe that I made last weekend. I helped her make it for my cousin’s Bat Mitzvah in late March and loved it then, so when she gave me a bag of bulgur wheat, I knew I was now required to make it and it was really easy.
To prepare the bulgur:
- Pour 1.5 cups of boiling water over 1.5 cups of bulgur
- Cover and let sit until liquid is absorbed, at least 10 minutes.
- ½ large cucumber, peeled and cut into small or medium dice.
- 1 medium tomato, unpeeled, excess juice and seeds squeezed, cut into small or medium dice.
- 1 cup of small green pepper, diced.
- ½ feta cheese, crumbled.
- 1 cup finely minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely minced scallion
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 recipe for Basic Lemon Vinaigrette
- Combine diced vegetables in a large bowl with oregano and lemon vinaigrette, let marinate in the fridge while preparing the bulgur.
- Combine bulgur and vegetables and season to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe for Lemon Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced.
- 1 tbsp salt
- fresh pepper to taste