Well, shit. I went home to see some family that I hadn’t seen in a while, like probably 3-5 years, maybe more. It was nice to see them until one of them said, “Oh, what did you vote for Obama?!” Then I realized why I hadn’t made more of an effort in the last several years to connect.
Then he went on to say, “I always make sure to vote for the right (or white, I can’t remember exactly which he said) candidate.” Seconds later stupid was just dripping from his mouth about the birthers being right and his birth certificate and “Obama’s not even an American!”
I used to get all agitated about comments like these and fight back (with words), but people with those uneducated opinions aren’t even worth the breath. I just removed myself out of the pathway of his asinine, ignorant bullshit.
We may be family, but it doesn’t mean that I have to put up with ignorance.
I had meant to write this earlier this week, but time completely got away for me. I have a bunch of stuff to be grateful for this year (as most people I know on Tumblr do).
- That I Never Have To Say ‘President Romney’: Seriously? So thankful.
- My parents: For being so supportive during this trying year with all it’s ups and downs, and for telling me over and over that because of my severance I was definitely not going to go broke doing the internship that I’m finishing up soon. And also to my mother for Googling my anxiety issue and finding out that it could be related to the TBI that I experienced when I was 11, and helping me find a doctor who can most likely help me with it.
- My internship: My internship has been such a great experience this semester. It was the perfect re-submersion into the industry that I love so much. I do spreadsheets and Quickbooks and contracts, and I love it. I’ve met so many great people and I’ve learned so much. I hope I can take what I’ve learned and apply it to a fantastic job. I’m also thankful that I was financially able to do this internship without also having to work 3 extra jobs. (Again, thank you, severance.)
- My Friends: They know who they are. They listened to me bitch and complain about a guy that I was seeing this year and helped me celebrate when I finally cut him loose. They put up with a lot of crap from me. They deserve a medal.
- My Health: I went to the dentist yesterday and had no cavities. That’s pretty awesome. I need to schedule my physical but I’m assuming that I’m fine. I’m also thankful that I was able to lose somewhere around thirty pounds in the last year through calorie counting (on My Fitness Pal), yoga, and running.
- Yoga: I’m super grateful that I can still afford this membership and that I can go 3-4x/week. Yoga is the best thing ever.
- Being Laid Off: In April, I was laid off. It was sudden and a shock. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I was given a generous severance package and it turned out to be the best thing. I was so comfortable there that I probably never would have left if I wasn’t pushed. Did I ever mention that my job bored me to death?
- The Handful of Guys I Dated This Year: Thank you for teaching me about myself and what I want. Without your sometimes questionable behavior, I wouldn’t have the standards I do right now.
- The Rest of the 2012-2013 Broadway Season: Thank goodness we have you left because the fall has left me uninspired.
- Seeing Green Day at Irving Plaza in September: There are no words (okay, maybe there were a few). That night was magical.
I think that’s good for now. What were you guys thankful for?